The statutory functions of the Department include amongst others:
- Promote international cooperation with other space organizations.
- Promote participation in space activities of the United Nations International organizations and non-governmental organizations.
- Have competencies for contract Law with primary responsibility for contracts, grants, and other cooperative agreements. Contract servicers will also include establishing and dissemination legal policy as well as facilitating the preparation and interpretation of Federal Statutes.
- Be responsibility for supporting the negotiation and preparation of non-procurement and procurement agreements, with commercial and international entities and general matters of international cooperation and law.
- Have responsibility for intellectual property issues in domestic and international agreements, technical data issues, patent and copyright licensing and the distribution of computer software.